Sunday, May 26, 2013

Inspiration

I subscribe to a magazine called  Art in America. 
Sometimes, I will see a work that grabs me. Something about it...
this was about the color, space, and contrast.
I wanted to recreate it in fabric.


The artist is Rico Gatson. I decided to look him up and was surprised at what I discovered about this picture. It appears to be a photograph taken in a gallery. 

This is a sculpture called Magic Stick #15. Behind this is a series of painted wood panels called 
Untitled (Collective Power).


The oddest thing is that no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find the section in the magazine anywhere in this photograph. Even if I tried to imagine the camera at different angles, I still couldn't find it.
Intriguing.
Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed making this wall hanging. I used only Fossil Fern fabric from Benartex which I felt lent itself nicely to the design..


I found more pictures of Rico's entire exhibition and am inspired to explore this more deeply.

1 comment:

Queeniepatch said...

A fantastic piece, Zurn!
I looked and looked at the illustration in the magazine and can only find the black lines, but they are back to front. Could the picture have been taken from the other side of the structure and there is another, similar collection of paintings on the opposite wall?
Your interpretation is fantastic, you are so clever with fabric and seams!