Friday, August 03, 2012

Blocks and blocks...

Life has been so busy lately that I haven't had a moment to post anything here. My second son was married in Belgium a week ago. A whirlwind trip full of friends, family, wine, beer, shopping, chocolate, and very little sleep. I don't think that I ever adjusted to Belgium time before I had to return to the States.
The minute I returned home, I was back at my machine working/playing/creating....
all fun!
The first thing I did was complete the next block for the Millenium Compass Quilt. This will be part of a BOM class starting in October, so I need to get the sample done.


Next thing I did was begin an online class called Encrusted Crazy Quilting with Sharon B. The first week's assignment was to create a crazy quilt block between 6 and 12 inches. I'm happy with the first one but wonder how difficult this will be to embellish due to the bold prints and dark colors. Sharon B assures me that I should go for it.


For the second block, I chose a wider variety of fabrics but toned down the colors and patterns. We'll see how this turns out. For the second week, I am to begin stitching. I have been experimenting with another block, so I already got my feet wet and am ready to go!


I thought that before I get too involved in my CQ class, I would get my Block Swap for August done. This month's partner wanted any block in black and white with a splash of red. Anyone who knows me well knows that this is one of my favorite color combinations. My partner posted a picture on her blog of all the squares she has received so far, so I tried to create a block that she didn't have yet....an offset Log Cabin.


Well, since I had the fabric out, I decided to do another one. I had recently purchased Karen Combs' acrylic template for making cubes, so I decided to give it a try.


So, it's been a great week home. I'm definitely back into the swing of things.

Finally...the elated lovers...my son, Luke, and his beautiful bride, Clemence!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh, Zurn, all your blocks are very beautiful! and I love that second CQ block!! very much! :)
(and you remind me that I have not done my CQ block for August yet!....)
:)
so beautiful photo with your son! I wish a great happiness for them.

hugs and love..