Thursday, October 03, 2013

Sand Castles

So, my friends know that although I've been making quilts for over 30 years, I don't do the quilting part. Here's my quilting history. The first quilt I ever made, I hand-pieced and hand-quilted because I believed that I should understand how it was done before machines took over. I hand-quilted one other wall hanging, and then I was done.
I made a few quilts for my kids back in the day and machine quilted them...stitch in the ditch, simple straight lines, nothing more.

Then I discovered long-arm quilters. What a relief! Now I could do what I love the most...piece quilt tops. Well, I got to a certain point where I was cranking out more tops than I could afford to send out to be quilted, so I was in a bind. At the coaxing of a friend, about a year ago I started quilting my own very small pieces...small wall hangings. I've wrestled with wanting to learn free motion quilting, even took a class, but have never practiced enough to feel comfortable with it.
In July, I decided to make the Toes in the Sand quilt designed by Jaybird Quilts. I thought to myself...Ok, this is it. You're going to quilt this one. I figured that I could handle one strip at a time. I searched YouTube for "quilt as you go without sashing" and found lots of videos to show me the way and off I went.



A month later, I was finished and it's currently hanging in 
which now has an online shop. 
Check it out HERE
I made so many mistakes, but I love it anyway. I was initially fascinated with the idea of a pieced triangular block. I went with pastel-ish batiks on a sand colored background and named the quilt, "Sand Castles."


No free motion here. I sat and did a ton of needle down, presser foot up, and turn.....ad nauseam.
Will I ever do this again? Who knows. I'm closer to my goal of quilting my own work than I was several months ago...so I'll take it and be happy!


By the way, this was a very fun quilt to construct. You should try it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the spiral motives you added on the side of the quilt! Beautiful! And congratulations for you! So precious work!!

Unknown said...

This is lovely, Zurn! Your work always cheers me up no end. I'm sending out a package to you this week (now you can go forth and be curious :-)

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla