Thursday, January 31, 2013

Playtime

Do you remember being a little one at school or camp,and it was time to play a game? Maybe the teacher chose two kids to be team leaders, and they had to pick their teammates from the group. There always seemed to be that one, maybe it was me, screaming, hands waving up in the air, yelling, "Pick me! Pick me!"
Sometimes, when I really want to play, a fabric will scream, "Play with me! Pick me!"
Sounds crazy, I know, but it's true.

First of all, I love Westminster fabrics. This new line designed by Dan Bennett is called Frondescence.
This piece in the collection is called Pragmatic, defined by Merriam-Webster 
"as relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the 
exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters."


Interesting. 
Back story: You know that my computer crashed....bam boom! It has taken me a week to get my laptop to a place where I can do all my work. Installed Photoshop, a printer/scanner, and  Office 365. All relatively painless but time consuming. Like all day type time consuming. So, time to prep for a class on Sunday, opened up a Word document, and I got an error message that the program had stopped working. Happened multiple times. Waiting on hold for Microsoft tech-support......waiting......waiting.
Me:  Yes, I would love for you to help me!
India: May I control your computer remotely?
Me: Sure.
Me: (hitting "yes" for a series of permission screens.Then, my mouse starts moving, screens start opening, things are being clicked, deleted, etc. Done.)
India: Everything is working fine now. Anything else I can help you with today?
(Ok, so that was amazing. You take control of my computer because you know what you're doing and I don't....and...it would take three times as long to explain to me what to do.)

Needless to say, after that kind of day, I was ready to play. Ready to get those "intellectual and artistic matters" rolling. 
I chose one more piece from Dan Bennett's line and a few others.



Then I went into my stash drawers for a few other polka dots and solids and went to work play.


I have a large 24" pillow on my bed. When I want to curl up and read a book, this is what I use. The previous cover was probably 6 years old and had seriously faded from the sun. The fabric was almost thread bare. 


I had so much fun. A much needed relief from the stress. Now, I can relax on my new pillow with a good book.
Enjoy your day :)

4 comments:

Marjolein said...

The fabric you used is gorgeous. So is the cushion.

Orange Crumpled Napkin said...

This is such a nice composition. I stared at this fabric at the Cloth and Bobbin, and didn't buy any because I new I wouldn't want to cut into it. I like how you highlighted the fabric and let it be the star of the show.

Cindy Falteich said...

You're amazing.

Unknown said...

oh, Zurn, wonderful fabric and I love how you really play with it!!! your additional colors and geometry is fabulous! lovely pillow!!!
hugs