Monday, January 23, 2012

Color...

Artist Marc Chagall said that "all colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites." At class last Wednesday, I was struck by the amazing diversity of color, hue, and pattern chosen by the women present....and the extraordinary and seemingly endless combinations that can be made from these with magnificent results. Colors are our greatest tools.

For those of us who sew, it could be argued that the seam ripper comes in at a close second. A friend of mine was teaching a beginner sewing class. A student made a mistake. Here was the perfect opportunity to teach the class about the seam ripper. I tried to remember when I first learned about this fabulous tool. I decided that I probably had one with my first rattle.

With all of my ribbons finally done....



I was ready to begin constructing my quilt. Enter the seam ripper! Yes, I did think it would be a breeze to cut strips and sew them together. Not so. I think I used my seam ripper more the other day than I have in several months. Nevertheless, at the end of a long day, this is where I ended. Who knows where I'll go from here. I do know that I have a lot of ribbon fabric left. I woke up the other morning thinking of "stars and stripes" so maybe I'll use up the rest and incorporate some stars into another wall hanging......maybe...



When I made blocks out of the Amy Butler fabric, I had 34 solid blocks and 36 nine-patch blocks. This quilt only used 24, so I can make another bed quilt and a baby quilt.


The past few days have been great for staying in and sewing, my windows revealing only damp gray clouds. Today, streams of sunlight are saturating my studio. It feels like a cleaning day...

1 comment:

Indigene Theresa said...

The colors are so beautiful! I love bright colors and this will surely "Pop" on any bed! :)

Thanks for sharing this, I'm a sewing no-no, so I enjoy hearing about it, it was my Mom's passion! :)