Sunday, January 08, 2012

"Raining Bliss!"

It's been a quiet Sunday morning. I have spent the last 3 hours in the kitchen doing one of my favorite things: cooking! There is no better way to start a day like this then with a batch of slow-roasted tomatoes. Plum tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a pinch of sucanat in a 300 degree oven for at least 3 hours fills the house with the most wonderful aromas. These have become a staple in our home. Not only are they wonderful on top of a piece of multigrain baguette, but they find their way into sandwiches and wraps. Then, when the tomatoes are all gone, you are left with a delicious bowl of dipping oil. It's hard to beat!


My commitment to unfinished projects has spilled over into many aspects of my life already. I have a great collection of cookbooks and multitudes of cooking magazines that I can't bear to throw away. I have tried so few of the recipes contained in these that I have decided to spend more time in each one. This morning, I made a recipe from my latest issue of Vegetarian Times: Mushroom, green bean, and noodle soup with Mascarpone cheese. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms in pepperoncini olive oil to give the broth a nice bite. So delicious!

I also had a bag of sweet potatoes that had been sitting on my counter for the last week. I pulled Mollie Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest off my shelf and searched the appendix for sweet potatoes. This is what I found: Sweet Potato Pie with Poppy Seed-Cheddar Crust. Wow! That sounded wonderful. How can you go wrong with brown sugar and cinnamon? It called for oranges, and I happened to have several organic Satsuma tangerines. They went in. I had no yogurt, so I used ricotta cheese in its place.

All I can say is that is that when my son, John, tasted everything, he exclaimed, "Oh my god, it's raining bliss!"


1 comment:

Indigene Theresa said...

That's not just raining bliss, it's just plain and wonderful bliss! :)