Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Biting off more than you can chew...

At the end of 2010, I decided that in 2011 I would make a quilt for each of my children. Ok, I did the math...that's eleven quilts, one a month, I can do that. Who was I kidding? Seriously, I am a pro at over committing, but I mean well. I had made quilts for the first six when they were young. They had been loved and were falling apart. I'm done having children, so it made sense to give them all new ones.

In January, 2011, I picked out the fabric for the first quilt. It would be for the first born of my twins who is now thirty. I had a plan...

By the beginning of February, I had sewn some strips together. I should have guessed then that I would never get eleven done by December.


There have been many times during this past year that I have called this "The Never Again Quilt." So many strips, so many squares, and way too many intersections to match. Consequently, this ended up in the closet periodically. I could only handle it for a certain amount of time and then....exiled! During it's banishment, I did finish quilts for five other children that I'll share in another post.

This morning, I shipped this quilt to Chicago. I don't have adequate words for the feeling I had packing it up. Relief? Absolutely! A sizable portion of embarrassment for taking so long to get it to him? Definitely! Excited for it to arrive UPS on Thursday? For sure!

I really like the pattern Carol chose for the quilt.


I have a daughter who is a magnificent poet. She also lives in Chicago. I called her this morning, sent her a picture of the quilt, and asked her to name it. Later, she texted me two names....of the two I chose "Under a Closer Cosmos."



2 comments:

holly | bijou lovely said...

This quilt is so beautiful! I absolutely love the colors. And you're right, there are so many pieces. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with it!

Orange Crumpled Napkin said...

I love gazing at this quilt. I love how it radiates and it is so intricate!