Friday, February 10, 2012

Rilke and Art

On January 1st, I began reading A Year with Rilke: Daily Readings. Without exception, every reading is thought provoking. Some hit a chord. Some strike very deeply. Here is the reading for February 6th:

Unsayable

"Things are not nearly so comprehensible and sayable as we are generally made to believe. Most experiences are unsayable; they come to fullness in a realm that words do not inhabit. And most unsayable of all are works of art, which- alongside our transient lives- mysteriously endure."

Yesterday, I finished binding my quilt, "Temple Garden," and the weather today granted me permission to photograph it. Last summer, one of my sons was kind enough to install a bar across the top frame of my garage and install quilt hangers on it. This allows me to hang most quilts and photograph in daylight.


This quilt began in a PaintStik class. This was new for me. The teacher had available for my use this rubbing plate. The students were permitted to use her Stiks. I chose metallic gold, silver, and bronze. During those few hours in class, I had completed six of these on black and six more on three shades of grey. One became a pillow, and one became this quilt. All of the rest have been added to my long list of unfinished projects.



Inspiration comes from so many different places. When I had finished the large center square and was contemplating where to go from there, I remembered a book that I had, pulled it off the shelf, and there on the cover was that spark...


This image is found throughout many Native American and Eastern spiritual traditions. There is something about it that promotes centeredness and stability. There are counter dynamic forces: One coaxes you into the center, and another entices you to expand. 

Whenever I ask an artist to create anything for me, I tend to give little or no instructions. I believe in artistic license. I have rarely been disappointed. When I take quilts to Carol (http://www.loracdesignsclh.com/), I let her do her thing...longarm quilting is not my thing. 


Here is the back I chose...


I continue to play around with my "Retro Razzle" quilt. I took one of the twelve completed squares, cut it diagonally in quarters, and placed them on the sides of a foundation pieced flower that reminded me of the "flower power" imagery of the sixties. It seems fitting. So, I think I'm happy with this and now only have to make eleven more...



No comments: