Thursday, March 08, 2012

Dare to be different...

Recently, I got into one of those moods that in my child-bearing years I called "nesting." It's the mood that makes me want to clean and organize. Sometimes I think it comes now at a time when everything around me is in chaos, and I need to bring order to something...anything...in order to cope. Whatever the reason, the result is calming. 

I started with the bottom drawer of my sewing dresser. I absolutely love neutrals. Always have...in decorating, dressing, and quilting. So, I took all of my neutrals from everywhere in my studio and stash closet, folded them neatly, and set them in order by tone or design.


Next, I attacked what I call my leftovers. I rarely use patterns for my quilting. Generally, I purchase the yardage I think I need, make as many squares as I can from what I have, then put a quilt together. The result is a pile of strips, scraps, and completed squares with no home. So, I went through all the mess and organized all my leftovers into bags. I have an entire box full of these bags. Here are a few....


Now, I come to that Amy Butler Midwest Modern fabric that I already made two twin quilts and a baby quilt from. I started off with twelve half-yards of the collection. I purchased a cream background fabric and went to work. Even after all those quilts, I had a leftover bag! Over the past three days, I took everything in the bag and threw together another nineteen squares. Well, at this point, I knew I needed twenty to make a 4X5 block quilt, but I just didn't have enough to pull off another one. So, after some thought, I decided to throw a big circle into my quilt of squares and rectangles. I chose an inset circle....


The result is a quilt I am calling "Dare to be Different."


3 comments:

kris said...

aww, mom! i love that quilt! what a cute idea.

Sarah said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt!! What a brilliant idea.

Sarah said...

... and now I see that I totally echoed Kri. : / How unoriginal of me. Ah well, two great minds think alike, right?! ;)