Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring break

So far, I've had a wonderful spring break. This is one of the few weeks out of the year when I don't have to drive children all over the place. I have been able to spend time with them...catching up on some school work, going to the movies, going out to eat, or simply hanging around the house together. When they have found things to occupy their time, I have been finishing up some projects that have been on my to-do list.


This is my first piece completed for the Creative-Pay-It-Forward project. The recipient simply told me that pink was her favorite color, so here's what I came up with.
For those of you who don't know me, I love piecing but I don't quilt. I have been hesitant to learn free motion quilting and have attempted very few pieces on my machine. Since this is a small piece, I decided that I ought to do it, so I did. I simply drew freehand with a disappearing pen and went to work,
and I'm ok with the result.


After I finished a pillow for my bed out of these fabrics, I decided to make a wall hanging as well.
I think I'll tuck this away until I learn to free motion quilt with a bit of confidence and then do this one myself. I'll never learn if I don't try.


I hear that Monday will be 59 degrees. Spring is clearly here. I am enjoying my early blooms that the rabbits have not eaten already. I guess they get hungry, too, but I wish they would find breakfast somewhere else.

6 comments:

Indigene Theresa said...

You've created an amazing body of work! :)

Orange Crumpled Napkin said...

Not bad for the first time FMQ. I just got in the mail the proper FMQ foot for my machine. If all goes well, I will be joining in the experiment.

Queeniepatch said...

Two wonderful pieces!
You don't need any lessons in Colour Confidence!
The quilt pattern is lovely.

Unknown said...

Dear Zurn! congrats for you with your FMQ!!! nice looking!
and I love how you play with colors!
and, your wall-hanging is so beautiful!!! I imagine how they will looks together with your pillow! amazing!

Grace said...

Hooray for taking the plunge! I noticed immediately how the quilting complements the overall design. Beautiful use of color, as usual. I love the wall-hanging, too!

Pamela said...

I just discovered your blog, and I absolutely love your sense of color! I plan to stop by often for the eye candy. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work. I love batiks and hand dyes and romantic prints, so I'm really drawn to your quilts. And congrats on the machine quilting!