Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Penrose Tiling and more Autumn 2012

This afternoon, I will be facilitating the exploration of math and science in art with a group of 12-14 year old children at Open Connections in Newtown Square. 
I have enjoyed, from time to time, creating works using Penrose tiling. The canvas I will be using today as an example is called "Estella", named after a character in Kristy Kiernan's book, Catching Genius.


After a short introduction to Sir Roger Penrose, British mathematical physicist, recreational mathematician, and philosopher, I will help the children create their own 12" x 12" canvas.


Using my fractals, I created a set of Penrose's darts and kites for each child and packaged them with a dart and kite template.


Below is a canvas I began to show them the process of the tiling and the application of the paper darts and kites to the canvas.
My daughter happens to be in this class, so I hope that I don't embarrass her totally :)


Yay! I received another kit from Masha in Russia for the Autumn Color 2012 Project. This picture does not do justice to the absolutely beautiful work she did dying her fabric.


From this, I needed to construct a block that will be sent to Natalia in Russia.


After choosing some of my own fabrics, this is what I came up with. Can't wait to see how Natalia embellishes this !


Well, off to Open Connections. Have a great day!!!





5 comments:

Unknown said...

O... My dear Zurn.... When I red about fractals, I was impressed so much, but when I saw what you create from my little pieces........ Wow...... It's .... I have no words.... Very beautiful! Thank you for being in the project!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good blog post, nice efforts. It couldn't appear to have been penned any better. Reading this article piece of writing reminds me about my old boss! He usually kept babbling about this. I will email this post to him. Pretty confident he will probably have a high-quality read. Appreciate your posting!

Kristy Kiernan said...

I can't begin to tell you how honored I am that you chose to name your beautiful quilt "Estella," and, even better, that you're sharing it to teach kids about math. I just could not be more delighted.

Thank you.

Tool Venture said...

Amazing work. You teach this amazing work to kids. Is this a fabric or tile ? I am a little bit confused.

Zurn said...

This is actually fractals printed on paper and then applied to canvas.