Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday, the 13th

"Paraskevidekatriaphobics — people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th" Seriously, who comes up with these names??? 

I often wonder how these crazy things come to be. Who first decided that there was a stigma attached to the number 13 or the 6th day of the week? For those of you who struggle with Friday the 13th, apparently there will be three occurrences of this day in 2012: One in January, today, and one in July. They are each exactly 13 weeks apart.....weird!

I recently joined the Block Swap Adventure, a fun way to meet others quilters around the world. Each month, you are assigned a swap partner, and you each make a 12" block for the other. You pick the design you want and the colors. So, my first partner lives in Oregon. She asked for this block, and her favorite colors are black and red...


Since I had some more fabric, I made her another one for fun...


I finished the ribbon quilt for my friend. After adding the Paintstik blocks, I wondered if I had made a bad decision. Maybe I have to live with it for a bit. The colors were so much fun to work with.


When I look at the center, I really feel like I'm in a planetarium. 



As for Friday the 13th, for me it's just another day. However, Fridays generally are a wonderful reminder that the weekend is coming. 

2 comments:

Indigene Theresa said...

The Black/Red is intriguing! What's odd about Friday, the 13th is that they always been great days for me. Like you said, who comes up with the stuff?! I would imagine, it was a way for people to explain what they did not understand! Unfortunately, we still do that today; just look at world relations! Ugh, I digress'! I'm loving your quilt panels! :)

Orange Crumpled Napkin said...

There is symmetry and balance in that quilt. And yes, I also see the celestial spin on it. In fact, that is what it could be called - "Celestial Spin".